Monday, May 8, 2017

Macross "Robotech" SDF-1 Finale

Okay, I was finally able to dedicate some time to getting this one done. I got the legs on with much difficulty. It was a very tight fit even after sanding down the areas before glueing. Since the model wasn't designed with lighting in mind, the wires barely fit through the opening. During this process I broke off the nose piece and the bridge, knocked off a foot piece and cracked the seam on the side of the main body. This is usually where I have to fight the urge to throw the whole thing on the ground in an irate fit. But I got it all fixed and pulled through.

Next up, I got the ships attached. This was a little easier than the legs, but not much! There wasn't a lot of room to solder the wires and get them stuffed into he body without causing some trouble with other wires or the LED and fiber optics inside. But I managed to get it all together while only shorting the lights out once!

While looking around the web for ideas I came across a guy who used a plain old pencil for his weathering, scraping and chipping effects. I decided to give it a try with good results!

Since that worked so well, I used a silver Prismacolor pencil for the highlights on the thruster arrays. It was way easier than masking them off and dry brushing silver paint.

I had mentioned previously that I was unsure of what kind of base I wanted to use. In the end, I opted for simple base that utilized the one that came with the kit combined with a cheap wood disk from Micheal's.

Overall I am happy with the finished piece. Its a kit that I have wanted to build properly since 1985. So It'll do, pig.

No comments:

Post a Comment