Monday, May 8, 2017

Macross "Robotech" SDF-1 Finale

Okay, I was finally able to dedicate some time to getting this one done. I got the legs on with much difficulty. It was a very tight fit even after sanding down the areas before glueing. Since the model wasn't designed with lighting in mind, the wires barely fit through the opening. During this process I broke off the nose piece and the bridge, knocked off a foot piece and cracked the seam on the side of the main body. This is usually where I have to fight the urge to throw the whole thing on the ground in an irate fit. But I got it all fixed and pulled through.

Next up, I got the ships attached. This was a little easier than the legs, but not much! There wasn't a lot of room to solder the wires and get them stuffed into he body without causing some trouble with other wires or the LED and fiber optics inside. But I managed to get it all together while only shorting the lights out once!

While looking around the web for ideas I came across a guy who used a plain old pencil for his weathering, scraping and chipping effects. I decided to give it a try with good results!

Since that worked so well, I used a silver Prismacolor pencil for the highlights on the thruster arrays. It was way easier than masking them off and dry brushing silver paint.

Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Macross "Robotech" SDF-1 Part 3

Just a small update for today. I haven't been doing much work on this due to the death of a friend and memorials and such. Hopefully I'll get a good chunk done this coming week.

I got the bottom thrusters masked off and painted those black. I thought that the decals for the red stripes looked cheesy so I opted to paint them on instead.

I screwed up the spacing between the stripes on the two "Shoulders"; they do not match. I'm going to leave it, though. I would have to sand them down and start over completely and I just don't think its that crucial.

I did the same for the yellow stripes on the bottom thruster arrays. Because it was an afterthought (that I almost opted to skip) I had to do a lot of masking to make sure that I didn't't get any yellow overspray on anything else!